August 17, 2008

The Mail::Thread created just as many threading issues at it solved, as some more testing proved. I got a bit bummed out about it (one step forward, three steps back), and I was wondering if I should still use it or try to fix the problem of the other module.

In the end, the truth is that for all the problems it creates, Mail::Thread makes it much simpler to find out about them as well, because there’ll be a empty contained as a top post, all the time. The threading problem I found with Mail::Box::Thread::Manager simply gave back a wrong threading order and I only noticed because I was reading in details my script output (I’m parsing interesting stuff!). So, well, that would mean I would have to DETECT and SOLVE, and “detecting” threading problems would basically mean rewriting a whole threading library, which is not something I’m so keen to try anymore. So I rewrote the script using the Mail::Thread, and I wrote a embarrassingly rough heuristic to try to find what may be the top post. The results look acceptable, I think. I’ll have to check more closely of course, and try to find out whatever New Obvious Problem I Missed this time! Stuff like disappearing messages is pretty annoying to try to discover, but I’m making progress đŸ™‚


One comment

  1. […] fruits « Perl Mail::Box thread manager disorder Mail::Thread » And all the threading problems were solved, and all was good August 12, 2008 OTOH, […]

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: